Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A trip to the wharf





It was a short while ago that I was day dreaming about surfing on a SwordFish while harvesting potatoes in Wisconsin. I dont take any dreams lightly and this one seemed worth remembering. I documented my dreams quickly on a napkin, folded it neatly and put it inside my "Dreams of the future" box. Some days passed by and those gleeful images of surfing on Franklin (yes i named him) were slowly slipping out the back of my mind. It was almost 2 weeks after my vision, i was talking with Seth, we were discussing normal Cray Cray business when i asked him his plans for his days off. "Think im gonna go diving, maybe fight some sharks, hunt for zombie octopi." "Cool, bring back some Cray Cray." i replied.
That night i got a frantic call, i could barely make what was going on "......Stabbed.....ish......otatoes........les" the words were cutting out, "urfing....fighting.....need...backup.." It was Seth, the last thing i heard before the phone cut out was a shrill death cry "CRAAAYYYYYY CRAAAYYYYYYYY!!!" followed by loud thumping and rough gurgling. I was seriously concerned, I tried to call back, the phone was dead. I had no idea where he was or what was going on... there was nothing i could do.
The weekend came and went, no word from Seth. I had been watching the local news for any stories of death on the coast... nothing. When i went back to the Cray Cray kitchen i didnt know what to expect. As i walked in i could see Seth preparing something with a Cray Cray look in his eye. As i approached him he looked up nervously clutching a knife and making jerking aggressive movements. I stepped back, confused. "Hey Seth, whats up? You okay?" The Cray in his eyes dropped and his muscles relaxed as he slumped over against the table, he started telling a story, his eyes were far away, he looked terrified as he recalled the events that happened that night. I have no idea how to re-explain what he described, it didn't make sense as he told it, yet somehow i knew exactly what he meant. After all was said and done, i stood there. I couldn't move as i looked over at what was on the table. "This was inside the creature?" i asked. He nodded and then looked away, still in shock and denile himself. I walked toward the table cautiously, i could feel every movement in my body, heart pounding, muscles filled with immobilizing adrenaline, i felt weak and alone. i realized then my day dream had actually been a premonition.
After a brief fear induced waking coma, we worked together to bring the items on the table into a cohesive Cray Cray concoction. Everything in this creation came from the belly of the beast that Seth hunted down and fought with little more than a diving dagger. I named the beast Franklin to pay my respects. Our recipe went as follows.
1-lb of Franklin, 27 tatter-tots, a box of Scooby-doo mac and cheese, jalepeno poppers, mozzarella, scallions, and a side of tartar sauce. We baked them all together into a casserole, plated it, paid our respect, and then ate.
RIP Franklin 1992-2009

No comments: